How they deceive us with the recycling of plastics !!!
I have read an article in the Guardian written by Arwa Mahdawi that made me think and am very appreciative for. In her article, this nice woman pointed out how the big oil companies that manufacture the plastics we use deceive us in their recycling.
The recycling of the plastics that we discard is in the order of 10% and the rest (90%) ends up polluting the environment.
But we (consumers) are bombarded with the issue of “recycling” to ease our consciences and make us consume more plastics, because if we recycle we tend to believe that we avoid the problem of pollution and continue to consume them.
Recycling is very good, but as I said before, barely 10% of what is produced is recycled, and oil companies are more interested in making new plastics using oil than in making new plastics using other recycled plastics. And here the profit is what commands.
It’s funny how they bombard us with propaganda to take us where they want. Large corporations have a lot of money to change the way we behave by sending us “messages” for a long time about what is right and what is wrong.
In the years 70 and 80 with the first warnings of global warming, they denied it emphatically and “bought” studies that proved the opposite; and that has been known 40 years later, but nobody has appeared as “responsible” and has been sanctioned for it.
They continued to deny it at the beginning of the 2000s, and although climate change is a fact accepted by the majority, there are still those who deny it and others reluctantly accept it, delaying as much as possible the measures to adopt to avoid it.
And all in the name of an economic development of the past that no longer serves for the immediate future, since it is known to be more negative than anything else.
Dear friends, in my opinion Arwa Mahdawi’s reflection is important for us to be aware that we must be critical of the slogans we receive. Come from where they come.
We must sift with our understanding the “inputs” that come from outside, since not all are well-intentioned. I’d say a minority of them.
And also try to inform us with objective data of the reality that surrounds us. Today in social networks there is a lot of noise and very little information.
We have to be very selective when it comes to informing ourselves
Returning to the issue of plastics, if we really want to avoid the contamination of plastics, what we should do is stop using them, at least those that are of petroleum origin, which are the vast majority.
Today we have alternative packaging to use, but plastics are the cheapest and that is why they continue to be used so much. Apart from the fact that it is very difficult for all of us to change our habits.
But in any case, it is partly in our hands.